Looking for a critical thinking activity to help your students with math vocabulary?
The “Vocabulary Dominoes” activity requires students to compare and contrast terms, as well as, look for, analyze, justify, and communicate about relationships among the terms.
Here’s how it works:
1. Group students in groups of three. Assign students to be Student 1, 2, or 3. Note: This activity works best with at least 16 dominoes for a group of three.
2. Students spread out the face-down cards.
3. Each student takes 4 dominoes. Place the remaining cards in a face-down stack.
4. Student 1 turns over one of the remaining cards to use as the starter domino.
5. In turn, each student tries to connect one of the words on his/her domino to an end and justify the connection. If no connection is made, the student takes a card from the extra pile and tries to make a connection. If no connection can be made, the turn is lost.
6. The first student to place all of his/her dominoes is the winner.