Poetry: The Art of Interpretation – is designed to teach students how to interpret, appreciate, and analyze poetry.
There are nine complete lessons (estimated to last approximately 60 minutes), therefore two weeks of lessons.
This complete, no prep unit is a great way to start! This unit includes a student guide, nine detailed lesson plans, two multimedia presentations (no internet connection required), a detailed answer key with annotated poems and answers, and an end of the unit evaluation with a rubric, and answer key.
Just print it and teach it.
Poetry is a very subjective form of art. Some poems you love and others, you hate. What we need to realize is that this is the beauty of poetry. Poetry is not a mystery to be solved. Rather, it is the masterful manipulation of language that has the power to transform the ordinary and to immerse its reader into the world created by the author.
This unit incorporates art to help students understand and appreciate the beauty of words. Also, students will learn how to analyze themes in poetry through paintings and artwork.
This bundle includes:
Each lesson focuses on a different skill set including:
– Knowledge and manipulation of figurative and poetic language
– How to read and understand (appreciate) poetry
– How to analyze poetry
– How to annotate poetry
– How to paraphrase effectively
– How to use symbols
– How to effectively develop themes from poetry
– Creative writing
– Creative activities to learn how to analyze
The unit includes a student packet (20 pages), a teacher packet (with nine complete lessons), and a comprehensive answer key with annotations to the poem (with 17 pages). See the preview for more details.
Poets studied include: (8 poems total)
– Billy Collins – “Introduction to Poetry”
– Anne Marriott – “As You Come in”
– Phyllis Gotlieb – “First Person Demonstrative”
– Edgar Allan Poe – The Raven
– Robert Frost – “Nothing Gold Can Stay.”
– John Crowe Ransom -“Janet Waking”
– Woodruff – “I am a Poem that Tells a Lie.”
– Tennyson – “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening”
The unit also includes:
1 – The teacher guide (Contains nine comprehensive lesson plans to teach the poems included in the unit. EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO TEACH THIS UNIT HAS BEEN DONE FOR YOU. )
2 – The student package (Contains students’ notes, poems, and questions) (20 pages)
3 – The answer key includes annotated poems and answers to all student activities (saving you time – 18 pages).
4 – Included is a test with multiple choice questions as well as a development question. All answers are included. (Word format for easy changes)
5 – 2 PowerPoint presentations – one multimedia presentation to introduce the unit (17 slides) and the second to reinforce the use of imagery and symbolism (19 slides) – NO INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED
6 – Images to project or print
7- An end of the unit creative evaluation, which includes clear and concise directions and rubric. (In a Word document for easy modifications)
– An interactive multimedia Jeopardy game to review figurative language and poetic devices (PowerPoint – no internet required)
– A multimedia PowerPoint on how to read and interpret poetry
– A PowerPoint presentation on how to understand symbols and imagery in literature (19 slides)
– A final culminating evaluation with evaluation rubric (left in Word format for easily made modifications)
The unit has been created in such a way as to simplify the teacher’s life. Photocopy the three packages included and don’t worry about it for the rest of the unit. You literally can begin teaching it without any other preparation.
A total of 43 pages + 64 slides are included in this package.
This unit is complete and does all of the thinking for you. All you need to do is to print out and photocopy the student package, and you’re set.
You may also be interested in the following products:
Poetry Through Song Unit
Lord of the Flies Unit (No prep required)
Hamlet Unit (No prep – Complete Unit)
Death of a Salesman (No prep required)
Frankenstein (No prep – Complete Unit)
Poetry Unit for Senior Students (NO PREP)
Poetry Unit for Intermediate Students
Poetry Unit: The Art of Interpretation
Romeo and Juliet – A No Prep Unit
I will be adding to this resource. Click on the Follow Me section at the top of my store page and you will be notified when I have revised this product or when a product is on sale. Of course, downloading the revised version will be free.
Total Pages 43 pages and 64 slides
Answer Key Included with rubric
Teaching Duration 2 Weeks