This Lord of the Flies Unit has everything required to teach this unit. All of the thinking and preparation has been done for you.
Everything you need to teach The Lord of the Flies by William Golding is found in this unit.
• Includes journal prompts to further students’ understanding and to understand thematic development in the novel further.
• PowerPoint presentation with historical context and background information
• (Optional) PowerPoint presentation about the origins of evil furthering understanding of Golding’s themes
• Guess Who? Game to help students trace character development in a fun and practical way
• Student workbook with all of the photocopies, student activities, comprehension and thematic questions, etc… (Photocopy the booklet once and you don’t have to think about it for the rest of the unit.)
• Links to audiobooks for easy chapter reading.
• The Answer Key for all student work.
• Includes comprehensive chapter notes to help with reviewing chapters previously read and allowing students to take notes concerning important information.
All tests have two versions – which is nice when you teach more than one group at a time.
• Test on the first seven chapters (2 different versions – both in a Word document for easy modifications. Answer keys provided for both evaluations.)
• Final evaluation includes two different options. Option 1: 2 different unit test versions (two different tests – answer keys for both are included), Option 2: an Essay with all materials included (evaluation grid, outline package, etc.…)
• 17 complete and detailed lesson plans to guide and orient your students. Journal prompts with ideas to further discussion, step by step instructions… This makes for super easy planning.
• A Jeopardy Game (on PowerPoint) to review the novel and to prepare for the final evaluation
The unit includes 103 pages and 76 slides.
Guide to lessons’ focus points:
Lesson 1: Introduction to the background and historical context
Lesson 2: Focus on leadership
Lesson 3: Introduction to the symbolism in the novel
Lesson 4: Characterization
Lesson 5: Writing exercise (paragraph and argument development)
Lesson 6: Reading period
Lesson 7: Civilization vs. Savagery (Includes cyberbullying and dangers of social media, etc.…) Practical applications of the novel.
Lesson 8: Review analysis skills
Lesson 9: Test on chapters 1-7 (Choice of multiple-choice questions or development questions)
Lesson 10: Reading period
Lesson 11: Thematic Meaning activity
Lesson 12: Characterization (character development)
Lesson 13: Literary conflicts in the novel
Lesson 14: Symbolism
Themes: 15: Themes
Lesson 16: Novel review and Jeopardy game
Lesson 17: Evaluation (Choice of two unit tests or an essay)
You’ll never have to worry about what you will be teaching on any given day, and the unit is modifiable for your convenience.
It’s teaching made easy!
I will be adding to this resource. Click on the Follow Me section at the top of my store page and you will be notified when I have revised this product or when a product is on sale. Of course, downloading the revised version will be free.
You may also be interested in the following products:
Poetry Through Song Unit
Lord of the Flies Unit (No prep required)
Hamlet Unit (No prep – Complete Unit)
Death of a Salesman (No prep required)
Frankenstein (No prep – Complete Unit)
Poetry Unit for Senior Students (NO PREP)
Poetry Unit for Intermediate Students
103 pages and 76 slides